Friday 3 May 2013

You say potatoes, I say kartofler .....

A multilingual society. We all know the problems involved here. Not only can't you understand those of your co-citizens who speak a language different from yours, but - much worse - they can't understand you.
 
If you think that's bad, then try to imagine a multilingual marriage. Only the consequences can be much more devastating. One spouse with one mother tongue, the other with another mother tongue, communication taking place in a shared foreign language.
 
The marriage of Mrs. Christensi and me is one such marriage. Our language of (mis)communication is English.
 
I remember an exchange of words from the early days of our marriage:
 
"I'm the boss, OK?" I said.
 
"OK, you're the bus - and I'm the bus driver", she replied.
 
And since then it has been like that.


No comments :

Post a Comment