Friday 14 June 2013

A Birthday Forgotten

The young are not what they used to be, when I was young. They lack the stamina that my generation has. Take bicycling, for example. My son in law, who is generally very sporty, recently bought a race bicycle. He first had to learn to bicycle. As a small kid he was always brought to school by car, and as he grew older the bus was his means of transportation. The city where he lived was not considered safe for children to cycle in.
 
He started training on his new bicycle. Not very impressive, if you ask me.
 
One day we were having a family dinner. He was talking about his progress in the art of cycling. "Today I even overtook another cyclist", he said. "Come on" he had shouted as he passed, "you can go faster than that".
 
"What was the reaction?", I wanted to know.
 
There was no reaction, he told me.
 
Then I made a very funny remark: "Maybe she didn't hear you. Maybe she hadn't turned on her hearing aid."
 
I noticed that he wasn't laughing. Not only do the young lack stamina, they also lack humour. And that's not all. Their memories are not as good as ours. I never miss an opportunity to mention the date of my birthday, but this year he had forgotten it, so I got one present less than expected.

No comments :

Post a Comment