Friday 9 August 2013

Title Roles

Kids are fun. And it's fun to watch them grow up and come to grips with world and the things in it. Also when sometimes they have to learn about the hard facts of life.
 
When my daughters were little girls, and could not yet read themselves, I read the fairy tale The Princess and the Pea for them one evening as I was putting them to bed. It is by Hans Christian Andersen, and they seemed to enjoy it very much.
 
The next day, when they had had their breakfast, they wanted to play together. "Let's play The Princess and the Pea", the older one said. "Ah yes! let's do that", her little sister replied, her eyes shining in blissful anticipation.
 
"I'll be the Princess" the older one said. The little one looked thoughtful for a moment. Then worried. And then she started crying: "I don't want to be the Pea".
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment