Friday 19 October 2012

The Demoralizing Effect of Roadside Speed Indicators

The legs felt good. Of course I was tired, but I felt I was still able to put quite some force into it. Had been on my racing bike for about two hours and was getting close to home. I felt strong and good.

That’s when I heard the voice in my head – the inner commentator set off: 
 


And here’s the Sky train. They are keeping a tremendous pace to secure this stage for Cavendish. But what’s that. Who’s that on the other side of the road? It’s Pulo! Pulo looks to be taking this stage. Isn’t it just amazing? He won the time trial, he took two of the toughest mountain stages. He has the Yellow Jersey, he has the Polka Dot Jersey, and if he gets this stage, he can add the Green Jersey to his collection. Isn’t it just fantastic!
And bear in mind. All this after being his country’s top goal scorer at the soccer world championships earlier in the summer. Who doesn’t remember how he was changing from this football outfit into this bicycling outfit, hanging high in the air after being parachuted over the starting area for the Tour de France prologue in order to be in time for the Grand Départ? The crowd is going to love .......
I noticed a light flashing at the roadside. It wasn’t the photographers. It was an amber light. And there was a sign saying:
Vous roulez à 22 km/h. Or in English : you are moving forward at a speed of 22 kilometres an hour. After this sign there was another sign. Heimdorf it said.
I was back where I belonged.

No comments :

Post a Comment